Squigly-doo

Monday, August 22, 2011

Homemaker

In high school one of my fellow classmates was trying to frost cupcakes for our class party. She was really struggling and they looked extremely sloppy. I saw she needed some assistance so I stepped in and in no time I had perfectly frosted cupcakes. Several of my classmates stood watching me in amazement. They were amazed how quickly I frosted them. All of a sudden I was being told that I was going to be such a little Mormon mini van driving, homemaking soccer mom one day. To them they were teasing me, to me it was the compliment of my life.

All I've wanted to be in life is a stay at home wife and mother. I am perfectly fine with the idea that I will probably drive a mini-van around taking kids to their various activities. I am perfectly fine with staying home doing the laundry and working on the little mending sewing projects that need to be done. I am perfectly fine with tending to a flower garden and preparing a scrumptious meal for my husband and children each day. It's what I was meant to do in life. And I am excited about it! But don't worry guys, I am definitely graduating with my BS in a year.
My sister's got it down!
But of course, all the home making skills don't always come naturally. So I've been practicing. Today was a big step in my practice. Today I made (successfully) my first Crock Pot slow cooker Roast! I woke up and right away put on my apron and started cooking. I seared the meat and potatoes then put it all in the crock pot. All day I spied on it. Spence and I went to campus for a while and when we got home the apartment smelled SO GOOD! We were so excited to eat it!

When it was ready it was so juicy and tender. All the potatoes and vegetables were cooked perfectly! I was so proud of myself. And Spence was pretty delighted as well :)

My Grandma Gulliver made pot roast every Sunday for family dinner. I want to be just like my Grandma. I want to be that traditional house wife. (Ok, maybe not EVERY Sunday...but once in a while would be great!)

Spence set the table for me. Doesn't it look nice?

This picture doesn't do it justice!


Slow-Cooked Pot Roast

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 beef brisket (3-4 lbs) ... (I used the cheaper chuck roast and it was just as good)
1 tablespoon garlic powder, divided
1 tablespoon salt, divided
1 tablespoon black pepper, divided
1 teaspoon paprika, divided ... (We didn't have paprika, so I used chili powder)
5-6 new potatoes, cut into quarters
4-5 medium onions, sliced ... (I was afraid to use that many onions, so I only used 2)
1 pound baby carrots
1 can beef broth ... (We didn't have beef broth, only chicken broth, and it was tasty)

1. Heat oil on high in 4 1/2 quart crock pot slow cooker. Brown brisket on all sides. Transfer brisket to plate. Season with 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, 1 1/2 teaspoons pepper and 1/2 teaspoons paprika; set aside.

2. Season potatoes with remaining seasoning. Add potatoes and onions to crock pot slow cooker. Cook on HIGH stirring occasionally, until browned.

3. Return brisket to crock pot slow cooker. Add carrots and broth. Cover; cook on HIGH 4-5 hours or on LOW 8-10 hours or until beef is tender.


1 comment:

  1. Haha! Love that picture of Heather. She's definitely got it down and getting better all the time. I'm amazed how much she can juggle. We will be resurrecting our blog soon. Stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete